Thursday, November 13, 2008


I've been able to get Sage to latch on during three feedings today! I can't begin to tell you how happy that makes me! No tears today!

I think I figured out what was going on, although I don't know why it happened. Today when I went to try to nurse I stuck my finger in her mouth to have her suck on it. I noticed then that she was putting her tongue to the top of her mouth! Well you obviously can't suck on something like that so I forced her to put her tongue down when I inserted my finger. I did this a couple times before I put her to the boob and what do you know.... she did it! I'm also doing feedings every two hours now to keep her going. Again, I'm not sure why she suddenly started doing this because we've been doing great all week long. It's almost like starting over and retraining.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was just about to call a lactation consultant. When I was told of the prices to have them come out to help, I decided to try once more on my own! It's expensive to get some decent help in this area! Man oh man!

Hopefully Sage and I can keep this up and make it through!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for figuring out that cute little "sucker"! Hopefully she'll be able to move her tongue by herself soon... Good job, mom.

The Middletons said...

Lisa I'm so glad you figured it out. It's such an amazing thing that you are able to breastfeed Sage! I didn't know any advice to give you since I never got milk with either of my girls.

Kate said...

Yay! I'm so glad you figured it out - and no tears is good! :)

Amber said...

sorry, I had nothin for ya! I am glad that you figured it out. I guess that is one thing I never have to "look forward to" if you know what I mean. Give those girls a kiss for me.

Amber said...

sorry, I had nothin for ya! I am glad that you figured it out. I guess that is one thing I never have to "look forward to" if you know what I mean. Give those girls a kiss for me.

maxfamclan said...

I do a lot of latching stuff at work, call me any time.

tiburon said...

So glad it is going well. I feel so out of the baby loop!